Thursday, September 11, 2008

In Remembrance....What's at stake this year.


=======================================

DAYS THAT CHANGED OUR LIVES

Seems only yesterday, though it's been seven years. September 11, 2001 is forever etched into memory. This morning I scanned photos of the World Trade Center horror. And again I cried. The staggering shock will never go away. It was Pearl Harbor all over again.

Pearl Harbor wasn't supposed to happen again. That's what we thought. In our enduring innocent ignorance, we forgot that history indeed repeats. And so we now have two momentous horrifying days that "live in infamy."

When (if) we can get past the shock, the horror, the tragedy, something else surfaces. What follows is remembering the bravery--the gutsy, ballsy heroism that Americans do so well. American Marines did it in 1918 at Belleau Wood. American military and civilians showed supreme gallantry on December 7, 1941 and in the North Atlantic, on D-Day, In the Pacific and Iwo Jima. Police, Fire Department personnel and countless others displayed uncommon courage on September 11, 2001. The accounts of selfless heroism from NYC to the Pentagon to Flight 93 are portraits of what Americans do. It's who we are.

Tomorrow I'll fly my American flag. I'll send prayers of thanks for all Americans of all times - victims and heroes. My prayers will include gratitude that I claim this Great Land as my own. Yep--no apology given or needed: I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN.

P5Actual

No comments:


GrandSon, Nathan